Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Big Blur!!

The past week, and especially the past 48 hours have been a big blur to us. I type this as we currently are sitting in the Minn aiport waiting for a connecting flight to take us to Amsterdam and then on to Ethiopia. It might sound weird but this is the first time we have been able to relax in the past few weeks.

Packing-packing was way harder than I imagined. I thought we could simply throw everything together the night before and it would nicely fit and be under the weight limit. I am a very light packer and Sarah's coming around to being a light packer so I knew it would be fine. Then along came the Vitamins. There is a need at the care center for Vitamins so we told people those would be a great item to send if they wanted to send them and we also purchased a bunch with the money people gave us to buy stufff for the orphanage. I never imagined how much they would weigh. We planned on carrying on two suitcases and checking two. We wound up checking 3 bags that are completely stuffed, one of which is over the weight limit but thankfully the check in guy at Northwest was so gracious to let it pass. At this point I don't care how heavy they are but I'm sure I will later as we will be climbing stairs to our hotel room. Our carry ons are also completely stuffed. Thankfully we are leaving a bunch of stuff over there so we will be much lighter coming back. We finished packing somewhere between one and two last night and then took a 2 hour nap and then woke up and headed to the aiport. We are taking this flyright herbal jet lag formula and it is AWFUL. I think I squirted too much into my drink but I chugged it and God allowed me to get it down. (Sound similar to our "hot dogs" in El Salvador???)

Leah-It was way harder than we imagined leaving Leah. She is in great hands and will be spoiled rotten by the time we get back but it was so hard. She knew something was up and did NOT want us to leave and threw quite a fit when we did. That made it hard on Mom. We made it though and last time we checked she is playing away. Keep her in your prayers!!

Flying-the flight from Springfield to Minn was great. Only 1 1/2 hours and it was very smooth. Right as we were getting ready to go through security some friend, Dwayne and Pam came up to send us off and pray for us. It was quite a blessing and a great surprise and a welcome distraction from thinking about the flight. Thanks guys!! In about 3 hours we head out to Amsterdam. Eight and a half hour flight:(

Keep us in your prayers. We will do our best to blog from Ethiopia but not guarantees. We are SUPPOSED to get back at 4:40 pm on Friday the 13th. Several of you have asked about meeting us at the airport and that would be great. We would love to see everyone. Thank you so much for following our journey.

8 comments:

Meredith said...

Praying for you guys and can't wait to hear that you made it! I tried to warn you that the FlyRight stuff was awful...but so worth it (at least it was for me - I hope it works for you). I thought about calling you with some sort of crazy (fake)crisis, but then decided that would be cruel. :) Anyways - hope everything goes completely smooth from here on out and we can't wait to meet him!

Christina said...

Safe travels on your way to meet your little one! I'm assuming you left from Springfield, Mo. Have I mentioned that most of my extended family live there? Perhaps we'll be able to meet sometime. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new little one!

BikerMom4Christ said...

It was our pleasure and blessing to be able to send you and Sarah off this morning. You've been on our hearts and we just wanted to pray with you. It was our hope and intent to bring you a little comfort and some peace for your trip. We love you guys and are having fun serving with you! Can't wait to read more as your trip progresses - keep us updated best you can.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you! God is good all the time. Phil and Rose

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the most friends can do when they can't be with you is simply pray... and we are certainly doing that. As we've talked before you two are on the journey of a lifetime... and Malachai is going to have more love than ever imagined... just as your whole family does. We'll spoil Leah some for you while your gone... to prepare for Malachai! Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Guilty as charged. I make that Jet Lag Formula and it doesn't taste great- but does work well.

I'll be sending them a free box of Jet Lag Formula in capsule form when it comes out in 3 wks. and end the suffering:-). Anyone on this blog can send me an email to ted@jetlagformula.com in the next 24 hours and I'll send you a free box of capsules too.

Anonymous said...

It's midnight here and I couldn't sleep. I told Jerrod I had to check your blog.

We are praying for you guys.

Love you both!
-heather

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you and can't wait to hear from you. Enjoy your time over there - perhaps you will get to ride an elephant! :)

Love to you both -
Marc and Staci